Choosing the location of the property is one of the most important decisions you’ll need to make when buying or renting a house or apartment. We are all looking for different things when selecting the property area, but here are some universal tips on choosing the right location for your new home.
Find the ideal property in any part of Nigeria on Jiji
1. Geographic location
Even if you don’t want to move out of the country, there are still different geographic areas within Nigeria. Before making the choice, research the climate and ecological conditions of the city or village you want to move to, so that it could perfectly fit into your family’s lifestyle.
2. City, suburbs or village?
Each of those three areas has both advantages and drawbacks for living. Cities offer plenty of opportunities for work and business, but they often have polluted air and expensive prices. Suburbs are usually cleaner, but schools and hospitals may be located further away from your home. Property in a village is the most affordable, but you won’t have too many options for work and entertainment.
When choosing the place where you and your family will live in for the next years or even decades, think not only about the larger-scale area, but also about the immediate neighbourhood. The neighbourhood where your family will live should be both safe and fitting to the lifestyle.
It’s not always easy to determine whether a neighbourhood is safe if you don’t live there; your best option is to ask the potential neighbours directly or research the place online. That way you can also learn whether the neighbourhood is loud and busy or quiet and secluded.
4. What else to look for
The location and safety of the neighbourhood aren’t the only things you should consider when choosing the area of your future home. Here is what else should matter in your choice:
- Proximity to work. If you’re planning to stick with your current job for a long time, choose an area that is relatively close to your workplace - otherwise you will be forced to spend a lot of valuable time and money on commuting to and from work every day.
- Proximity to schools. Even if you don’t have children now, you can’t rule out the chance of having them in the future, and that is why you should look for a neighbourhood with at least one school nearby.
- Proximity to hospitals. In case of an emergency, living several dozens of kilometers from the nearest hospital can significantly lower your chances of getting necessary medical help exactly when you need it.
- Proximity to entertainment. Whether you are single or plan to move with the family, you’ll need some places you can visit in the evenings or on weekends, like malls, parks, restaurants, cinemas, gyms, concert halls, clubs, and stadiums.
Find your ideal new home in Nigeria on the Jiji app