How I Met Your Mother was loved by viewers all over the world. Quite an ordinary plot was embellished by unusual characters and an excellent acting. No one will argue that Barney Stinson has become the key character, although the series has always been the story of Ted Mosby, who tells his children about his love romances.
Here are 15 unexpected facts about the TV show:
1. It's not actually filmed in New York
Even though the action took place in New York, it was actually filmed in Los Angeles. The studio was completely transformed to New York, so that the audience did not think it was fake.
2. Jim Parsons was almost Barney
Before Neil Patrick Harris got the role of Barney, Jim Parsons wanted to get it. Later, Parsons admitted that this was the right decision on the part of the producers.
3. And Jennifer Love Hewitt was almost Robin
The role of Robin was originally offered to Jennifer Love Hewitt, but she refused. The actress later reported that she chose The Ghost Whisperer instead of HIMYM at that moment.
4. Britney Spears saved the show from cancellation
At some point, the show's ratings fell down. The creators of the series decided to invite Britney Spears to save the situation. And she did it - the series was renewed after that.
5. A real proposal happened on the show
In the second season, in one of the episodes a real proposal occurred. Jana Rugan and Timothy Russo were those two happy people.
6. Barney and Robin weren't initially supposed to get together
The famous pair of Robin and Barney was formed during the filming of the series. Initially, the script writers did not have such an idea for the show.
7. Ted made Barney sound worse on purpose
Harris confirmed that it was Ted who made him sound extra sleazy and womanizing in his story for his kids. He did not want the kids judge him for having feelings for Robin.
8. Neil Patrick Harris' real-life husband played Lily's ex-boyfriend
David Burtka, Neil Patrick Harris' real-life husband, was seen on the show in the role of Lily's high school boyfriend.
9. Cobie Smulders and Alyson Hannigan's pregnancies had to be hidden
In the fifth season the actress who played Robin and Lily were pregnant. Costume designers had to make a lot of effort to hide that fact from the audience.
10. Hannigan's daughter was originally supposed to play her character's daughter
Originally it was intended that the real Hannigan's daughter should play her child on the show. But then the script writers decided that she is too adult for the role.
11. Harris' real-life love for magic was added to Barney's character
Neil Patrick Harris is a talented magician. He is president of The Magic Castle Club in Los Angeles. So, the script writers supported the idea to add his love for magic to Barney's character.
12. The Bro Code book really exists
If you really want to buy it, you can easily find it on the Internet. The series-approved version of all Barney's rules costs $12.99 on the CBS store site.
13. The characters' favorite bar was named after the co-creator's assistant
The scenery was used in the shooting, but it was made based on the real McGee’s bar in New York. Furthermore, it was named after the co-creator's assistant Carl McLaren.
14. Victoria would have been the mom if the show had been canceled early
Yes, if the show had been canceled a bit earlier, Victoria would have become Ted’s wife. Of course, this plan was changed, as the show was continued for 9 seasons.
15. Ted's kids knew the show's ending for years
As it became known, the final series of the TV show, where Ted told children about his feelings to Robin, was filmed back in 2006. That's just a year after it premiered and eight years before the finale aired.