You seldom find a creative person who doubles as an academician, probably because of the old argument on the brain's activity. James Franco has proven proponents of the argument wrong by excelling in both fields. In the academic field, he represents a rare crop of art students, while on set, he stands out as an accomplished actor. Find some inspiration in his story.
The actor was born on April 19, 1978, as James Edward Franco in Palo Alto, California, to Betsy Lou Verne, and Douglas Eugene "Doug" Franco. The 41-year-old American actor, screenwriter, director, film producer, writer, academic, painter, television producer, and comedian has mixed ancestry. His dad is of Portuguese-Swedish descent while his mother is of Russian-Jewish heritage.
James Franco profile summary
- Name: James Franco (born James Edward Franco)
- Date of birth: April 19, 1978
- Place of birth: Palo Alto, California
- Zodiac sign: Aries
- Siblings: Thomas "Tom" Andrew Franco, David "Dave" John
- Parents: Douglas Eugene "Doug" Franco, Betsy Lou Verne
- Franco Grandparents: Marjorie (paternal grandmother); Daniel Verne & Mitzie (maternal grandparents)
- Nationality: American
- Ethnicity: Portuguese-Swedish- Russian-Jewish
- Religion: Jew
- Height: 5 feet 10 inches (178 cm/ 1.78 m)
- Weight: 167. 5 pounds (76 kg)
- Chest: 42 inches
- Waist: 31 inches
- Eye color: Dark brown
- Hair color: Dark brown
- Alma mater: Palo Alto High School, University of California, Columbia University, Brooklyn College, Brooklyn College, New York University
- Profession: Actor, director, author, teacher, musician
James Franco biography
Franco is the firstborn son of the three Franco brothers. He led them well as his siblings because David "Dave" John and Thomas "Tom" Andrew are also actors. Betsy, his mother, acts occasionally. His dad, on the other hand, operated business in Silicon Valley.
Franco family and early life
In 1940, his maternal granddad (Daniel) changed his name to Verne. Verne's wife, Mitze, oversees the Verne Art Gallery that is situated in Cleveland, Ohio. In her former years, she actively participated in the running of the National Council of Jewish Women.
His paternal grandparents are equally successful. His granddad, Marjorie, writes and publishes books for youths. His parents first met at Stanford University as students. They fell in love, and the rest is history.
The actor was brought up in a loving environment in California, alongside his siblings. Their parents are liberal. Therefore, they raised their kids in an academic and a more secular environment.
As unbelievable as it might seem, the actor is a shy person. When he was young, he dreamed of becoming an actor and a marine zoologist. As a teenager, he got into a gang that stole designer fragrances from department stores and flipped it for a profit. His wayward ways caught up with him, and he got arrested for stealing, graffiti, and underage consumption of alcohol.
He became a ward of the state for some time due to his criminal record. However, a judge pardoned him, and he changed his ways for the better.
James Franco education
The actor enrolled in Palo Alto High school. With continuous support from his parents, the actor excelled in his academics. He graduated in 1996 and passed his SATS exam. A high school diploma was not the only thing that the actor gained from school. He took part in school plays, thus building his acting skills.
After graduating from high school, he joined the University of California as an English Major student. A year later, he dropped out of school. His parents did not agree with his decision. He would have to wait for two years before getting a spot in the acting course, so he went for acting classes at the Playhouse West with Robert Carnegie.
At this point, his parents cut their support to him, so the actor was left to fund his lifestyle. He landed a job at McDonald's where he worked late into the night. It was at his new job that he taught himself different accents while catering to the customers.
He finished his acting classes and landed an acting gig. However, he was not satisfied with his academic achievement. In 2006, he joined the University of California at 28 years old. He signed for English Major with a focus on creative writing.
Unlike other students, the actor was allowed to take a maximum of 60-course credits as opposed to the usual maximum of 19. He juggled between school and his acting career. In the period, he received numerous credits for being part of Spider-Man 3.
In school, he was doing well. He came up with a novel as his departmental thesis that was supervised by Mona Simpson. In 2008, the actor graduated with a 3.5 GPA score out of the maximum 4.0.
He then moved to New York to pursue his graduate studies at the School of the Arts at Columbia University. He studied acting at the institution. He also enrolled in the Brooklyn College, where he studied fiction-writing.
This was not enough to quench his insatiable thirst for knowledge. He enrolled in Warren Wilson College, North Carolina, for the low-residency MFA Writers' Program for poetry classes. He also had a hunger for film classes, so he joined the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University.
In the year 2010, the actor enrolled at Yale University for a Ph.D. course in English. Additionally, he joined the Rhode Island School of Design.
After acting school, he landed his first gig in a Pizza Hut television commercial. Later, the actor got minor roles in numerous television series. However, it was in 1999 that the seasoned actor made a bold move towards fame. This was after making it to the cast list of NBC's Freaks and Geeks that aired for eighteen episodes before being canceled as a result of low viewership.
He went ahead to feature in Never Been Kissed. Soon after, the actor landed a role in Whatever It Takes, as Chris. The 2000 movie was a remake of the famous play Cyrano de Bergerac.
In 2009, the actor became a part of the soapie General Hospital. He appeared as a multimedia artist, Franco. The following year, he appeared in 30 Rock as himself. Later, he featured in the drama Howl, and action-comedy Eat Pray Love and Date Night.
He starred in 127 hours as Aron Ralston. There, he displayed excellent showmanship that got him nominated for the SAG, Golden Globe awards, and Academy. He also featured in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and The Letter. Soon after, the actor starred in About Cherry as a drug-addicted attorney.
He quit his role in While We're Young to become a cast member in Oz the Great and Powerful. In the ninth month of 2010, he secured the right to act, recreate, and direct the movie The Adderall Diaries. This was followed by his 2011 declaration to act and direct The Night Stalker.
The veteran actor also had minor roles in The Green Hornet and Minute to Win It. Later, he featured in the fantasy comedy Your Highness, as Prince Fabious. In 2012, he starred in the award-winning movie, Child of God.
In the ensuing years, the actor directed, produced, wrote, and starred in many more films that helped him stamp his authority in Hollywood. He appeared in The Disaster Artist as Tommy Wiseau alongside his brother, Dave, who appeared as Sestero. In 2017, he was a cast member in Alien: Covenant.
His role as Wiseau earned him the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor. In 2017, the seasoned actor announced that he was taking things easy on the entertainment scene to focus more on himself.
James Franco movies
This list highlights all James Franco movies and TV series;
- 2020 - Kill the Czar (completed)
- 2018 - A Rose for Emily (Short) - Homer Baron
- 2019 - The Long Home - Dallas Hardin
- 2019 - Arctic Dogs - Lemmy (voice)
- 2017-2019 - The Deuce - Vincent Martino / Frankie Martino
- 2019 - Zeroville - Vikar
- 2018 - The Pretenders - Maxwell
- 2018 - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Cowboy (segment "Near Algodones")
- 2018 - Kin - Taylor Balik
- 2018 - Future World - Warlord
- 2018 - Mississippi Requiem
- 2017 - The Vault - Ed Maas
- 2017 - Dumpster Diving (short video) - El Diablo
- 2017 - Blood Heist - Farmer Simon
- 2017 - Don't Come Back from the Moon - Roman Smalley
- 2017 - Alien: Covenant - Branson
- 2017 - The Show - Male Host
- 2017 - Actors Anonymous - Jake Lamont
- 2017 - The Institute - Dr. Cairn
- 2017 - Alien: Covenant - Prologue: Last Supper (Short) - Branson
- 2017 - High School Lover (TV movie) - Rick Winters
- 2017 - The Labyrinth - Narrator (voice)
- 2016 - Blood Surf - Metalhead Troy
- 2016 - 11.22.63 - Jake Epping
- 2016 - Sausage Party - Druggie (voice)
- 2016 - Goat - Mitch
- 2015 - The Night Before - Himself
- 2014-2015 - Making a Scene with James Franco - James / Jack / Eric Forman
- 2015 - Memoria - Mr. Wyckoff
- 2015 - Black Dog, Red Dog - Leo
- 2015 - The Little Prince - The Fox
- 2015 - Deadbeat - Johnny
- 2015 - The Adderall Diaries - Stephen Elliott
- 2015 - A Walk in Winter - Conrad
- 2015 - Yosemite - Phil
- 2015 - True Story - Christian Longo
- 2015 - Don Quixote - Pasamonte
- 2014 - I Think You're Totally Wrong: A Quarrel - Himself
- 2014 - The Interview - Dave Skylark
- 2014 - Grow a Guy - Chad, the Grow-a-Guy
- 2014 - Of Mice and Men - George Milton
- 2014 - The Sound and the Fury - Benjy Compson
- 2014 - National Theatre Live: Of Mice and Men
- 2014 - Veronica Mars - Himself
- 2013 - Homefront - Morgan 'Gator' Bodine
- 2013 - James Franco & Seth Rogen: Bound 3 (Short video)
- 2013 - Playtime - The Art Dealer
- 2013 - 30 Seconds to Mars: City of Angels - Himself
- 2013 - The Mindy Project - Paul Leotard
- 2013 - Third Person - Rick
- 2013 - Child of God - Jerry
- 2013 - Palo Alto - Mr. B
- 2013 - The Real World: This Is the End Edition - Himself
- 2013 - This Is the End - Himself
- 2013 - As I Lay Dying - Darl Bundren
- 2013 - Oz the Great and Powerful - Oz
- 2013 - Lovelace - Hugh Hefner
- 2013 - Interior. Leather Bar. - James
- 2012 - The Color of Time - C.K. Williams
- 2012 - Hollywood Heights - Osbourne Silver
- 2012 - The Letter - Tyrone
- 2012 - Spring Breakers - Alien
- 2012 - The Iceman - Marty Freeman
- 2012 - Maladies - James
- 2012 - FCU: Fact Checkers Unit - James
- 2012 - Rebel Dabble Babble - Jim Stark / James Dean
- 2012 - About Cherry - Frances
- 2009-2012 - General Hospital - Himself
- 2011 - Rebel
- 2011 - Sal - Milton Katselas
- 2011 - Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Will Rodman
- 2011 - The Broken Tower - Hart Crane
- 2011 - Your Highness - Fabious
- 2011 - The Green Hornet - Danny Crystal Cleer
- 2010 - Masculinity & Me
- 2010 - Shadows & Lies - William Vincent
- 2010 - Date Night - Taste
- 2010 - Howl - Allen Ginsberg
- 2010 - 30 Rock - Himself
- 2009 - Acting with James Franco - Himself
- 2008 - Milk - Scott Smith
- 2008 - Nights in Rodanthe - Mark Flanner
- 2008 - Pineapple Express - Saul Silver
- 2008 - Camille - Silas
- 2007 - The Hills with James Franco and Mila Kunis - Justin Bobby
- 2007 - In the Valley of Elah - Sgt. Dan Carnelli
- 2007 - Good Time Max - Max
- 2007 - An American Crime - Andy
- 2006 - The Holiday - Himself
- 2006 - The Dead Girl - Derek
- 2006 - Grasshopper (Short) - Travis
- 2006 - Flyboys - Blaine Rawlings
- 2006 - The Wicker Man - Bar Guy
- 2006 - Annapolis - Jake Huard
- 2006 - Tristan & Isolde - Tristan
- 2005 - Fool's Gold - Brent
- 2005 - The Great Raid - Captain Prince
- 2005 - The Ape - Harry Walker
- 2004 - Spider-Man 2 - Harry Osborn
- 2003 - The Company - Josh
- 2002 - City by the Sea - Joey
- 2002 - Deuces Wild - Tino
- 2002 - Spider-Man - Harry Osborn
- 2001 - James Dean - James Dean
- 2001 - Mean People Suck - Casey
- 2001 - Some Body - Apartment Guy
- 2001 - The X-Files - Officer
- 2000 - If Tomorrow Comes - Devin
- 1999-2000 - Freaks and Geeks - Daniel Desario
- 2000 - At Any Cost - Mike
- 2000 - Whatever It Takes - Chris
- 1999 - Profiler - Stevie
- 1999 - Never Been Kissed - Jason (as James Edward Franco)
- 1999 - To Serve and Protect - Matt Carr
- 1998 - 1973 - Greg
- 1997 - Pacific Blue - Brian
James Franco girlfriend
He then got into a relationship with Ahna O'Reilly, but the two went their separate ways in 2011. He faulted his pursuit of education for their break up.
James Franco height
The actor is five feet and eleven inches tall. He also weighs 185 pounds. This measurement allows him to deliver on his roles.
James Franco net worth
According to Celebrity Net Worth, James has an estimated net worth of $30 million. He accumulated much of his wealth through his acting career.
James found himself on the wrong side of the law in 2019. He was sued, alongside his partners in the now-defunct acting school, for sexually exploiting his students. The students, Toni Gaal and Sarah Tither-Kaplan, said that James pressured his students to perform in an explicit sex scene on camera.
Judging from James Franco images, one concludes that he is generally a happy man. Why should he not be happy with his success in academics and entertainment? He is an inspiring figure worth emulating.